Faculty Award Winners
Researcher of the Year
Each year, UBC’s Okanagan campus recognizes a faculty member who has made a significant contribution to research during the time of their appointment at the University. The award consists of a cash prize and is presented annually during the Celebrate Research Gala event.
- 2009: Heinz Bauschke
- 2010: Michael Evans | Media Release
- 2010: Susan Murch | Media Release
- 2011: Melanie Jones | Media Release
- 2012: Philip Ainslie | Media Release
- 2013: Joan Bottorff
- 2014: Rehan Sadiq | Media Release
- 2015: Abbas Milani | Media Release
- 2016: Mina Hoorfar | Media Release
Public Education through Media Award
The Provost’s Award for Public Education Through Media recognized faculty members from UBC’s Okanagan campus who had demonstrated outstanding service to the University and the community by actively and creatively sharing research expertise via the news media. The award consisted of a research stipend of $2,000.00 and a certificate of award.
- 2009: Kenneth Carlaw and Mary Ann Murphy
- 2010: Christopher Schneider
- 2011: Carlos Teixeira
- 2012: Christine Schreyer
Student Award Winners
Undergraduate and Graduate Student Researcher of the Year
Introduced in 2013, UBC’s Okanagan campus recognizes an undergraduate student and a graduate student who have made a significant contribution to research during his or her time at the University. Each award consists of a $1,500 cash prize.
- 2014: Megan Udala, Undergraduate Student Award Winner | Media Release
- 2014: Matthew Lemay, Graduate Student Award Winner | Media Release
- 2015: Nishat Tasnim and Jeffrey Kerkovius, Undergraduate Student Award Winner | Media Release
- 2015: Alysha Baker, Graduate Student Award Winner | Media Release
Introduced in 2012, this academic competition challenges undergraduate students and graduate students to improve their oral and communication skills by having them pitch their research projects, in just three minutes, to a panel of judges from academia and the community.
2012 Undergraduate Student Winners
- Karly Drabot, The Effects of Exercise on the Gut Microflora and Immunity to Inflammatory Disease.
Kimberly Lemky, How Bugs Move Drugs. Watch Kimberly’s presentation. Lemky also received the People’s Choice Award.
2012 Graduate Student Winners
- Gabriel Newman, Social Potluck.
- David Kadish, Automatic Computer Recognition of Facial Expressions.
- Joceyln Madeira, Gold Compounds and Your Brain: Auranofin as a Neuroprotective and Anti-Neuroinflammatory Molecule. Madeira also received the People’s Choice Award.
2013 Undergraduate Student Winners
- James Beaton, Post-Fukushima prospects for nuclear-power development in the United States, Germany, and Japan.
- Carey Simpson, Stretching sex effects, length and angle matter… in muscle.
- Sarah Smith, Association of host microbiota with host obesity, insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.
2013 Graduate Student Winners
- Robert Hermosillo, Internal models in the human brain.
- Matt Husain, Tacit manipulations in legitimizing accountability and transparency through “development assistance”: An Institutional ethnography on the World Bank in Bangladesh. Husain also received the People’s Choice Award.
- David Kadish, The importance of context in artificial intelligence.